Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mercury Glass Candy Dish and a Project Update

I admit it.  

I have fallen down and blackened my eye when it comes to my plan to complete ten thrifty projects in 21 days.  I'm not even going to count the number of days I'm over my goal.  I'm not all that into kicking myself when I'm down...

Life got in the way and all I could do was let it.




 I'm back today, though, posting two more of the promised projects so I could X them off.  Number 7 could be marked off, too, because I've decided to make a couple more of the Trompe L'oeil Grandfather Clocks for my Etsy store and I have to save them for that...


 ***
I bought the vintage glass for 50 cents to add to my already too big collection of containers I use for cut flowers.  I think it was a jelly jar in a past life.

This is my favorite type of container -- the kind that doesn't take a boat load of flowers to fill 'em up.



Isn't it sweet?  The flowers are fresh from my backyard.





Then there was the candy dish in need of a little jazzing up.




I've seen some great tutorials for 
DIY mercury glass so I gave it a try.  

            1. Tape it off
            2. Spritz with water -- easy does it
            3. Spray paint the inside of the container



 This was super easy.  The hardest part was getting the cap off of the spray paint.  

Too solid...

Much better...


I did think it looked a little too "solid" so I took some packing tape and lifted a little of the paint off with it after everything was dry.
  



More tomorrow -- I promise!


Look who I'm linking up with...



    Tip Junkie handmade projects  Childmade    Passionately Artistic The Trendy Treehouse  lil luna button My Backyard Eden  A Crafty Soiree Party Button Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom Somewhat Simple IhookedupwithHoHlamespice      Photobucket Photobucket 


If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!

24 comments:

  1. Love the smaller vase & your backyard flowers are so full of color, mine are just now blooming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The candy dish is gorgeous..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of making my own mercury glass - how gorgeous would that be by candlelight. I love it and will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mercury glass container. Using tape to get the silver paint off was genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's neat...I had no idea they had Mercury glass paing. How pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The candy dish turned out great - smart idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't stop life, sometimes it just gets in the way. I haven't tried the mercury glass. Looks like it's pretty easy. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tutorial on mercury glass, I am really tempted to try it myself. Did you use standard spray paint or a special one? Any chance you will post some close-up pictures? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindy, you have accomplished alot! I love the mercury glass tutorial-that candy dish looks just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the mercury glass tuttorial, gotta try it out! judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lindy,
    I just love your mercury glass candy dish! What a fabulous job you made of it! One of these days, I will have to give it a try. Looks fab with your silver teapot/coffee pot and silverware! Thanks for sharing and your photos are great too.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. very pretty,, love how you painted the dish to look like mercury. Thats cool. I bought 4 of those exact same jellie jars at a flea market last year. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea! Stop by and link up! Love to have this great project added--
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the post on DIY Mercury Glass. That was new to me - I love the candy dish! I have two like that - and now I know what I'm going to do with them. Thanks again - I always look forward to your newest posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mercury glass paint is a neat effect! I may have to try this...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your flowers from your yard are absolutely beautiful in your little jelly jar vase.

    Enjoy your day,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! You're putting the Trompe L'oeil Grandfather clock in your Etsy store? I'm in trouble. That's been on my "to do" list for awhile. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lindy, Your faux mercury glass is wonderful! I tried this technique a while back and I didn't like the results because it also looked too "solid". Using the tape to remove some of the paint was brilliant! Thanks for joining my party.
    xoxo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lindy!
    You crack me up!... we're always hardest on ourselves, huh?
    10 measly little projects and we go berserk trying to get them done...
    I'm 4 mos. and counting on my living room redo!

    Love the mercury glass candy dish. Is it safe for candy? (wrapped I guess)

    I like the little jelly jar, for flowers. That's all we drank out of when I was growing up as a kid.
    Have a great week! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. WEll, you old faker, you---looks like mercury glass to me! I never get as much done as I think I am going to either...but ya know, you just do the best you can! Love those clocks!!!! xxoo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nicely done, Love the flowers, giggled about the spray can cap, been there...Hugs.
    P.S. I have your lovely blog on my cottages page at Katherines Corner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lindy--So you didn't accomplish everything you wanted to, let me pass on to you what someone told me....
    Sometimes it's okay if the only thing you did today was breathe!
    Your projects look FABulous!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Ever - The red house by the lake

    Just wanted to share I used "Looking Glass" spray paint. It worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love mercury glass projects and this is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.